X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

atop a pin
    a whirling butterfly
    ends its dance

The bathroom light is harsh. You feel ugly. You notice ugly things. Deformity upon deformity. You decide to at least fix your eyebrows. You comb them with a large lady's hairbrush. You like how it feels and looks. The oversized brush covers most of your face. Deciding you want the brush to stay in front of your face you look for some kind of adhesive. You find that stuff that keeps dentures in place and start applying it liberally from the chin to the hair line.
    https://underneaththebloominglaburnu...m/p/books.html

Comment

The bathroom light is harsh. You feel ugly. You notice ugly things. Deformity upon deformity. You decide to at least fix your eyebrows. You comb them with a large lady's hairbrush. You like how it feels and looks. The oversized brush covers most of your face. Deciding you want the brush to stay in front of your face you look for some kind of adhesive. You find that stuff that keeps dentures in place and start applying it liberally from the chin to the hair line.

vanitas—
      dining alone on fava beans
      with chianti
      ghost cave i brush aside the dharma of a lobster god

Comment

vanitas—
        dining alone on fava beans
        with chianti

That summer I decided to take two months off. Most of the day I sat around reading the books, one of two things my father left me in his will. But in the evening an hour before twilight I took a walk along the river Moy. The river wound around our fields and was shaded by large willows. It was these trees that provided a perfect habitat for the surrounding wildlife. There was an abundance of wildlife there from birds to insects. And with the insects the second thing my father left me came in. He had left me a moth trap. At first I thought about selling it online but even though we weren't that close it seemed cruel. So that summer I read a few reddit posts on how to use it and started this twilight ritual. Most people recommended that you set the trap before dusk and check it in the morning. I've never done mornings so I checked the trap in the evening. The moths were beautiful in the fading light. I never bothered learning their names or identifying them. I just took them out of the trap and let them sit on my hand admiring their beauty before they took off into the abounding night sky.

Comment

That summer I decided to take two months off. Most of the day I sat around reading the books, one of two things my father left me in his will. But in the evening an hour before twilight I took a walk along the river Moy. The river wound around our fields and was shaded by large willows. It was these trees that provided a perfect habitat for the surrounding wildlife. There was an abundance of wildlife there from birds to insects. And with the insects the second thing my father left me came in. He had left me a moth trap. At first I thought about selling it online but even though we weren't that close it seemed cruel. So that summer I read a few reddit posts on how to use it and started this twilight ritual. Most people recommended that you set the trap before dusk and check it in the morning. I've never done mornings so I checked the trap in the evening. The moths were beautiful in the fading light. I never bothered learning their names or identifying them. I just took them out of the trap and let them sit on my hand admiring their beauty before they took off into the abounding night sky.

namelessness
          flowers into
          the unknowing

Comment

namelessness
            flowers into
            the unknowing

'Can you hear it?' he asked.
            'Not really sure what I'm supposed to hear.'
            'it doesn't matter.' He said taking the head phones back. A thick bread crust like silence fell over us. He pretended to look at the surrounding trees that were full of birds.
            'It's just...' an awkward pause that felt worse than the previous silence 'just before the synth comes in, can you hear a cough?'
            With the last syllable still hanging in the air he passed the headphones back to me.

Comment

'Can you hear it?' he asked.
              'Not really sure what I'm supposed to hear.'
              'it doesn't matter.' He said taking the head phones back. A thick bread crust like silence fell over us. He pretended to look at the surrounding trees that were full of birds.
              'It's just...' an awkward pause that felt worse than the previous silence 'just before the synth comes in, can you hear a cough?'
              With the last syllable still hanging in the air he passed the headphones back to me.

blank affect
              up and down the train car
              the grey daylight

Comment

blank effect
                up and down the train car
                the grey daylight

A surplus of nothing (out of the ordinary it seems) coagulates against the aural windows of a hundred souls. Extraordinarily a glimpse of a better life bears down from a far-distant mountain allowing the observer to become the observed. The phantom pain of a universe's amputated dreams brings you back to earth.

Comment

A surplus of nothing (out of the ordinary it seems) coagulates against the aural windows of a hundred souls. Extraordinarily a glimpse of a better life bears down from a far-distant mountain allowing the observer to become the observed. The phantom pain of a universe's amputated dreams brings you back to earth.

coarse light matters
                  dim self desire seen
                  through opaque windows

Comment

coarse light matters
                    dim self desire seen
                    through opaque windows

We took a wrong turn somewhere. Just before the border, perhaps? Carl sits silently. Worry wears his face. He reminds me of a stone. What is he worried about, actually? The ants have been at the dead for days. That will do it. That kind of thing puts years on a man. I told him not to put processed cheese on the corpses eyes but listening has never been his strong suit.
                    Last edited by Michael; 04-24-2020, 02:48 AM.

Comment

We took a wrong turn somewhere. Just before the border, perhaps? Carl sits silently. Worry wears his face. He reminds me of a stone. What is he worried about, actually? The ants have been at the dead for days. That will do it. That kind of things puts years on a man. I told him not to put processed cheese on the corpses eyes but listening has never been his strong suit.

bat country--
                      something crawls from the shimmer
                      on the highway out of Bartstow

Comment

bat country--
                        something crawls from the shimmer
                        on the highway out of Bartstow

The desert at dusk always bothers me. Something about the elongating shadows of cactus beckon me but not in a good way. Out of gas the car slows to a stop and I get out into an East wind blast furnace. I told her and told her just to take the normal precautions, but it was always all or nothing. I miss that now. Brave or foolhardy? Oh well, maybe another car will come along and I can hitch a ride to Las Vegas, but it no longer matters.

Comment

The desert at dusk always bothers me. Something about the elongating shadows of cactus beckon me but not in a good way. Out of gas the car slows to a stop and I get out into an East wind blast furnace. I told her and told her just to take the normal precautions, but it was always all or nothing. I miss that now. Brave or foolhardy? Oh well, maybe another car will come along and I can hitch a ride to Las Vegas, but it no longer matters.

sunset over the desert
                          the purple
                          of a phoenix suns jersey

Comment

sunset over the desert
                            the purple
                            of a phoenix suns jersey

In the fading light the stale air of the room grows thick and inky. A painting of Elvis on rich velvet hangs over the dusty piano, surveying the cluttered room with a languid, sultry air of disdain. A teacup chihuahua dog whines and scratches at the window, her owner slumped over silently in the rocking chair, a few flies gathering at the corner of his glassy eyes.

Comment

In the fading light the stale air of the room grows thick and inky. A painting of Elvis on rich velvet hangs over the dusty piano, surveying the cluttered room with a languid, sultry air of disdain. A teacup chihuahua dog whines and scratches at the window, her owner slumped over silently in the rocking chair, a few flies gathering at the corner of his glassy eyes.

a curl of smoke
                              the old will
                              signed in blood

Comment

a curl of smoke
                                the old will
                                signed in blood

After we all decided to meet in The Swan. The Swan, or Swany as it is locally referred to, is a small family run pub. When I got there John and Margaret were already sat down with drinks. John was always super friendly and insisted on buying me a drink. I wasn't sure what to have so I told him to order whatever he was drinking. I sat down beside Margaret. I smiled and nodded my head in a manner that was equally polite and shy. John brought the drink from the bar. I thanked him. We made small talk. I offered cigarettes to John and Margaret. They both took one. Margaret produced a lighter and we all lit our cigarettes. I gently rested my hand on the table and it crumbled and collapsed. It was rotten. From the debris maggots and other small invertebrates wriggled and mixed with the spilled drinks and glass. Underneath the mess was a giant anthill. I looked at John and Margaret. They turned away from me and the anthill.

Comment

Working...
                                X