Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alan Summers - What is a signature haiku?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Summers - What is a signature haiku?

What is a signature haiku?

Most haiku poets, I would imagine, would not have a 'best of their haiku' list, but we might be known by certain haiku.

I'll try and find my own, but if you want to post on my thread what you consider to be your own signature haiku and name the reason, that would be fantastic!

warmest regards,

Alan Summers

I really enjoy writing ku where perspective can entirely change the meaning. In this one, there’s also a question of believability.
    fingers crossed you say you don’t lie anymore

Comment

• Margaret Walker
      Margaret Walker commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm too much of a newbie to have a "signature haiku" - but I do have a couple of personal favorites. Maybe someday...

Originally posted by Ray Caligiuri View Post
    I really enjoy writing ku where perspective can entirely change the meaning. In this one, there’s also a question of believability.
    fingers crossed you say you don’t lie anymore
    That's a great statement, and fascinating approach to haiku. Often with my anecdotes someone will ask if I'm just 'pulling their leg' but I seldom lie, as it still feels alien to me.
    With my haiku, I started being experiential and recording an incident is still very important to me, but I try to progress through the three stages of what Masaoka Shiki (正岡 子規, October 14, 1867 – September 19, 1902) wanted, even though he fell back to his first stage, perhaps because he was far to ill and near death.

Of course there are haiku of mine that are not experiential but they should be obvious which ones.

I don't know if you can see the four haiku I posted above? It says the post is unapproved.

I do have several haiku that have fingers though, here's one, and I still remember where this is, and what I was doing, even though it was a long time ago.

the rain in our fingers return journey

Alan Summers
    Publication Credit: Blithe Spirit 26.2 (May 2016)

I like how your one line can read:

fingers crossed you say // you don’t lie anymore

Comment

• Ray Caligiuri
      Ray Caligiuri commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Alan. Sorry to be slow in responding but I got locked out of the site for a couple of days - my fault, operator error. I love the sense of coming back together I get from your ‘fingers’ haiku. I picture two people reconciling after troubled times. Also, I don’t see your 4 haiku is this topic - would you repost?

• haikutec
      haikutec commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ray!

That's certainly a very valid reading.

I believe my choice of 'our' might suggest a couple, although I meant a greater 'our' but a couple out in the rain does remind me of at least one romantic altercation.

Alan

Alan's possible signature haiku

When I started to search for my own ‘signature’ haiku it became a journey with all the advantages and pitfalls of embarking upon one. I do have a love hate relationship with my own work, still searching for something that will really please me and let me rest. I guess I’m a fan of other people’s work, but I know I must keep writing too.

The haiku can't come through alas.

Perhaps others can post their own signature haiku?

Alan

Comment

• Margaret Walker
      Margaret Walker commented
      Editing a comment
      Alan - Without question my favorite haiku of yours is

house clearance
      room by room by room
      my mother disappears

Alan Summers

Not sure where this was first published but I just re-found it in one of my favorite of your articles - "The Reader as Second Verse".

If it helps Alan, here is a favourite haiku of your’s:

the warmth
    of mismatched gloves
    first snowfall

Alan Summers
    The Heron’s Nest XVII.3, September 2015
    Last edited by Dave Read; 08-06-2019, 04:08 PM.
    https://davereadpoetry.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is probably my signature haiku:

darkness ...
      her name slips
      into it

Acorn 36
      Touchstone Award 2016
      https://davereadpoetry.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Reka Nyitrai
        Reka Nyitrai commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello Dave,

For me your signature ku is:

Sisyphus in a hospital gown
        the stone
        that will not pass

is/let December 2018

Kind regards,
        Réka

• Dave Read
        Dave Read commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s an interesting choice Reka. Thank you for the feedback. I think the one I posted is probably better known but it is interesting to hear another poet’s selection. I appreciate you sharing this with me.

Originally posted by Dave Read View Post
      If it helps Alan, here is a favourite haiku of your’s:

the warmth
      of mismatched gloves
      first snowfall

Alan Summers
      The Heron’s Nest XVII.3, September 2015
      Thanks! It's an actual experience (experiential) which still remain my favorite approach to haiku, although I write fictive as well.
      I was delighted that so many readers in the Reader Choice Awards had voted for it. Often we have no real idea of a haiku is read, accepted, enjoyed etc...

In many ways it's a simple first stage shasei. I think, as Karen used to lose one glove regularly, that one glove might have been mine, so it's romantic although it could easily be recognised by parents as having mismatched gloves, because there is always one left behind on the floor of a sidewalk, street, mall etc... :-)

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Read View Post
        This is probably my signature haiku:

darkness ...
        her name slips
        into it

Acorn 36
        Touchstone Award 2016
        Enabling negative space is always tricky, but when done well will produce dividends. We can see that in television advertising past and present. For me, if I see an Old English Sheepdog, I think of the Dulux paint product. One advert made the mistake of using one of those dogs, though scruffy and dirty, to advertise something to do with cleaning. Yet, the misplaced negative space worked wondrously as I automatically thought of Dulux.

The simple opening line, although darkness is a prehistoric uneasy alliance that humans hold, means it's already a complex set up. The seemingly unusual verb choice really works rather than jars or detracts, which is not an easy thing to achieve. And the simple 'into it' is effective even if we don't know if there are two people there or not.

Great one!

Alan

Comment

• Dave Read
          Dave Read commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Alan!

Hi Alan,

The haiku I might be known for is the one about my father's lung cancer. If I recall correctly you even let a generous comment on it trough re:Virals 195:

an octopus
        in her father’s lungs . . .
        first autumn rain

— Reka Nyitrai, Otata 36.

Another one that might be my next signature ku is also about my father, this time about his death:

a book of rain...
        my father, now
        a brown butterfly

— Reka Nyitrai, Otata 44.

Best,
        Réka
        Where an octopus might go . . .

Comment

• Dave Read
          Dave Read commented
          Editing a comment
          Both of these poems are excellent Reka.

• Pris Campbell
          Pris Campbell commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful, Rika!

I don’t think I have a signature haiku but I like this one. It has emotional meaning to me. I formatted it centered, unusual for me, but no way to do that in a response box here.

birdbath filled
        with yesterday’s songs
        his empty pillow

Gene Murtha contest short list 2018

Attached Files
        Last edited by Pris Campbell; 08-14-2019, 03:10 PM. Reason: Added a screenshot with the formatting.
        My website is at www.poeticinspire.com

Comment

Pris, you can centre your lines using the formatting bar above.
          birdbath filled
          with yesterday’s songs
          his empty pillow

Comment

Hansha, I just
            discovered that I had to hit
            the underlined A
            up top for the options to show.

THANKS

now I have to find the option to space one line over in a haiku. Ray explained it but hitting that box just made a long line go across the page for me
            There’s the line. I’m hitting the very last icon in the second row.

Now I hit something and this won’t post unless I hit a valid URL so I added my website.
            original poetry by published poet,Pris Campbell of Poetic Inspirations, ranging from romantic and sensual to slices of life and aging. Books listed include Shadows Trail Them Home, Postscripts to the Dead, and others. Haiku. Haiga. Graphics. Contemporary artwork

Comment

hmm...I think if I had to choose one haiku, I would probably go with this one (for the multiple-readings, implications, and the invisible question mark/invitation to the reader):

how many
              become one
              sound of rain

Publication credits:

Frogpond 38:3, Autumn 2015
              The Living Haiku Anthology: http://livinghaikuanthology.com/poet...er,-jacob.html
              Haiku Commentary: https://haikucommentary.wordpress.co...salzers-sound/
              How Many Become One (Haiku Chapbook with Nicholas Klacsanzky)

© Jacob Salzer

Comment

Pris,I like your website!

Take care.Gennady

Comment

Thanks, Gennady. I just found your comment about my website.

Comment

Working...
                  X