Silent Live Stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent Live Stream

As I stroll along the banks of the Waikanae River, it becomes clear to me that the making of a poem is also the process of translating a pre-verbal phenomenon into an idiom that changes one's perception both of the phenomenon and of the language used to evoke it. Patterning words into poems has become for me an act of language-making that strains towards the unique utterance of what has hitherto been outside the apparent purview of language.

a mosquito.jpg
    http://hanshateki.com/by-year-month/....html?start=22

The content in these forums is outstanding.
    Thanks, Hansha. The work is really making me knuckle down and work harder.
    https://underneaththebloominglaburnu...m/p/books.html

Comment

Excellent writing, Hansha, and yes, how you describe the process fits with my experience as well, though I tend to use the "listening" phrase to describe the process of giving words and voice to the pre-verbal phenomena and perhaps trans-verbal too. The more I "listen" the more I'm convinced that rhythm - alternating sound and silence, word and pause - is a part of how (our) consciousness works. Like nature works.

Comment

Hi Hansha, you refer to the above as "two congruent helices" what I am hearing is the 'turnings' of one. . . . . just a thought :-)

Comment

• Hansha Teki
          Hansha Teki commented
          Editing a comment
          In this piece—yes Pat

I feel like something very important and transcendent is happening in this thread and I just wanted to say I'm excited for the possibilities and hope to try writing like this. I'd written a long poem about 25 years ago that was exploring interplay between two different perspectives that merge by the end, and I think it would be an intellectual and poetic challenge to take this sort of parallel play and the deep subconscious connections between things to write in shorter format. It's so pure, and contains the power of more than the sum of its parts. There are the two parallel haiku, each brilliant in its own right, and then the spark between them, and also the individual sparks between adjacent lines - like the way the mind experiences the external all the while from the perspective of an internal mind with its infinite subtext of associations. I think I'll start a new thread with what I just wrote and include that longer poem I referenced, and try to go from there as a starting point to try to create this way.

Comment

Working...
        X