X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candlemass sequence

Candlemass taking stock of cobwebs

a light in the middle of winter in the middle of the middle

a thousand years of prayer in this place with central heating and archangels

out of the fog we go back in for the time-eating beetle

with all the springtime of a D-Major chord matins

for now Michael weighs souls fading in lime

IMG_5648-w.jpg
    St. Michael the Soul-Weigher/Weigher of Souls, fresco from around 1350 from my local church

Attached Files

Very Nice! I get a nonjudgmental juxtaposition between the sacred and secular.

Comment

• jshb
      jshb commented
      Editing a comment
      whereas - as I see it - there's no jux there at all. The jux is in the mind, not in reality ;-) But it's how we traditionally have come to see it when we (especially during - and as a result of - the reformation) we became a "head" (intellectual, scientific) culture. (There are probably a million other explanations).

• Ray Caligiuri
      Ray Caligiuri commented
      Editing a comment
      well said
      i think
      (grin)

Great sequence Johannes, a pleasure to read as always.
    ghost cave i brush aside the dharma of a lobster god

Comment

gonna have to get to denmark and see this good stuff at some point.
      amazing work as always, johannes.
      https://underneaththebloominglaburnu...m/p/books.html

Comment

• jshb
        jshb commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you, Michael. Denmark has around 2000 churches like this all built from around 1100-1300. Most of the frescos (or lime-paintings, as we call them) were painted over with the reformation but many paintings have been recovered and restored at a later point.

• Michael
        Michael commented
        Editing a comment
        It's fortunate they were able to restore them. It's very interesting to see the aesthetic differences in Lutheranism in Finland and Catholicism say, in Ireland. For two religions that are essentially the same (I'm sorry if my observations offend anyone) in regards to what they believe in, they look worlds apart.

• jshb
        jshb commented
        Editing a comment
        Denmark was always sort of an appendix on Europe (and a muddy one at that :-) ) and not really wealthy enough to hire painters from further South than Germany. Most of of the frescos are made by local painters and masters who had learned a bit when visiting Germany and Holland. And because most abbeys, monasteries and convents were torn down after the Reformation in 1536 we cannot know if they had more "European" paintings.

jshb I have seen reference to this particular Mikael Sjælevejeren found in Højby Kirke somewhere in my searching. Thank you for sharing the photo of the original. I really enjoyed reading your verse reflections on viewing this fresco in situ. Superb!

As a coincidental side comment; the previously uninhabited islands of Aotearoa / New Zealand saw first human landfall in about 1350 with the first Maori canoe migrations.

Our country's human history has been so short thus far but the rain forest silence has been so long.

Comment

Working...
      X