• 6´er

beyond my grave a boy of light and milk

replacing speech an oak a pebble the cross

the path flooded with light from a tomb

on failing legs into the eye

wind against wind till you ears are full

sleep moon in an old man's armpit

Johannes,

Wonderful, moving sequence. Such an opening line! And such power in the first three lines! I can read them as poem unto themselves.
    Lost Way to the Sky

Comment

• jshb
      jshb commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you, Grant

This is a good sequence, Johannes.

Comment

• jshb
      jshb commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you, Hansha

Great work as always! Always wondered, Johannes, if you are influenced by John Ashbery? I’ve been reading his book A Wave and it includes his 37 haiku and some haibun. He seems way ahead of the game when it comes to one line poetry, at least in America, and especially disjunction and a certain amount of surrealism.

Comment

• jshb
      jshb commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never read JA. Had to look him up. Remember: the landscape of poetry looks different when seen from Denmark.

If you don’t mind me asking who would you call some of your influences? I’m curious about that landscape from Denmark.

Comment

• jshb
      jshb commented
      Editing a comment
      Only a few Danish poets have made an impression on me, but some have: Simon Grotian, Henrik Nordbrandt, Jørgen Gustava Brandt, Klaus Høeck and a few younger ones. In recent years some American: John Martone and a lot from this forum too and of course Robert Lax and Aram Saroyan. These days I'm reading Pessoa, Lorca, Baudelaire, Rilke, Mellarmé, Valery and Celán. What poetic landscape we see is, I guess, depending on our general cultural outlook and whether we are in a culture that is willing to look outside its own boundaries or not. Which I suspect isn't what characterises the American culture.
Working...
X