Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victor Ortiz

Hi there!

My name is Victor Ortiz. I currently live in Bellingham, WA, and my wife and I are recent transplants to the Pacific Northwest (Cascadia) from Los Angeles, CA. I have been involved with the Southern California Haiku Study Group since the early 2000s and now with the Bellingham Haiku Group for the past year.

My interests: language and poetry generally; haiku (and related forms) in particular; haiku aesthetics; consciousness, perception, the imagination, creativity, and the sacred.

For me haiku is not only a literary form that I enjoy writing but provides me with various ways to explore life and make discoveries with others. I share the view of Socrates that “an unexamined life is not worth living” (ὁ ... ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ, Plato’s Apology 38a). I look forward to sharing this journey with you.

Hello Victor!

Comment

Gosh, the Southern California Haiku Study Group must have been an amazing experience. And of course you know Gary who popped over to meet me, and we workshopped an anecdote into a haibun that's going into a new major anthology about trains! :-) I bet you have fun as well as getting down to haiku business!

Alan

Comment

Dear Victor,

I love your last paragraph:

​For me haiku is not only a literary form that I enjoy writing but provides me with various ways to explore life and make discoveries with others. I share the view of Socrates that “an unexamined life is not worth living” (ὁ ... ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ, Plato’s Apology 38a).

I feel this sensibility too, though often hard to articulate ~ it's my hope our community & space can further the journey.

Comment

Salve Victor! We have heard it said "Victori sunt spolia" yet here we make a place of sanctuary. "Melius est humiliari cum mitibus quam dividere spolia cum superbis."

Comment

Salve Hansha! Yes, this is a place of sanctuary and not one of competing for spolia or pro fama. Instead, I think of the antrum, the cave, that provided a harbor and refuge for Aeneas and his shipmates from the sea storm by which Aeolus at Juno's command almost destroyed Aeneas' entire fleet. This cave provided shelter, fresh water, and pleasant areas for resting, the home of Nymphs (Nympharum domus), as Vergil sings of this cave in Aeneid 1.166-67. Yes, I agree that this is our temenos and templum (sacred space) set aside for companionship, gentle support, and nourishment.

Comment

Hi Victor 😊

Comment

Welcome Victor!
                ghost cave i brush aside the dharma of a lobster god

Comment

Ah, welcome to the Pacific Northwest! I look forward to reading your work! Sincerely, Jacob
                  Last edited by Jacob Salzer; 08-01-2019, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X