Matsukaze (Introduction)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matsukaze (Introduction)

Greetings everyone! My name is Orrin Tyrell, though I publish under the penname; Matsukaze.

My introduction to haiku and tanka came in 2006 through poet/professor/activist Dr. Sonia Sanchez.
    I was immediately intrigued by this small poetic form that could hold the entirety of existence in it.
    It would be some years before I decided to look at the ku tradition through the eyes of Basho, Buson,
    Issa, and Shiki.

In 2013 I returned to tanka through the mentorship of M. Kei and immediately became consumed with
    notating everything outward and inward through tanka. I began experimenting with lineation; writing
    tanka in 1, 2, 3, 4, and the standard 5 lines. (i now at this time focus on writing tanka in a monolinear format
    a la Hiroaki Sato/Atsuo Nakagawa).

Id been in a love/hate relationship with haiku since the beginning. I struggled to find my voice and make
    haiku adapt to my daily needs. I didn't understand kigo and wasn't sure it was necessary for me. I felt
    'i'm not Basho, im not even Japanese' and so i wrestled with it and got frustrated with it and walked
    away with it. I discovered Marlene Mountain, R. C Matsuo-Allard, and eventually Hiroaki Sato and
    immediately fell in love with the monoku/monolinear approach of writing haiku; and by Marlene Mountain
    i saw that haiku could indeed hold what many told me it could not. It was then that I turned to senryu.
    Of course I learned of senryu via Blyth; but I didn't like what i was reading. I wanted my senryu
    to be diaristic in nature, i wanted them to be more literary, haikuish, and even tanka-like.
    There were a few senryu poets that eventually attracted me to that type of senryu: Mizuhara Setsuko,
    Tokizane Shinko, Onishi Yasuyo, and a few Japanese-American Senryuist (Sanae, George Oyo, Kaho Honda,
    Gengoro, Jakki, Sunny Seki) and a few others that showed me that senryu could read like a diary entry or such.

Also after really immersing myself in the haiku of Mountain, I subsequently fell in love with the haiku of
    Fay Aoyagi and Roberta Beary; who put so much of themselves in ku. It was Fay Aoyagi that said in the preface
    to her book, "Chrysanthemum Love;" "If you believe haiku must be about nature, you may be disappointed
    with my work. There is a lot of “me” in my haiku. I write very subjectively. I am not interested in Zen and
    the oriental flavor to which some Western haiku/tanka poets are attracted. I love the shortness and
    evocativeness of haiku. I don’t write to report the weather. I write to tell my stories." I would extend this
    sentiment by saying, i also write to tell my fantasies/imaginations; this s why I write ku and ka.

I am really looking forward to learning more about haiku, and especially learning more about gendai senryu,
    the different flavor of senryu as well.
    心奪われ阿呆のような日が流れ

infatuated, my day slips away like a damn fool's

Tokizane Shinko

Great to have you here Orrin, looking forward to seeing your work!
    ghost cave i brush aside the dharma of a lobster god

Comment

It is good to reconnect with you here, Orrin. Thank you for sharing a little of your journey.

Comment

A great introduction Orrin. Welcome!
        https://davereadpoetry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you very very much Clay, Hansha, and Dave...it is such a pleasure to apart of such amazing and talented poets like yourselves. Looking forward to learning, growing, and impacting.
          心奪われ阿呆のような日が流れ

Tokizane Shinko

Comment

Glad you could join us Orrin! If you want to learn about haiku then you are at the right place.

Comment

Rich Schilling thank you very much.
              心奪われ阿呆のような日が流れ

Tokizane Shinko

Comment

Hi friend! Been looking forward to seeing you Orrin!

Comment

Christina Chin thank you so much dear friend. its amazing to see you here as well!!!!
                  心奪われ阿呆のような日が流れ

Tokizane Shinko

Comment

Working...
                  X