This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origins of the Haiku Sanctuary Forum

One of the pleasures of poetry is the creation of poetic space. Over the course of a life, returning to these ever-unknown, ever-changing landscapes, feelings, rhythms, and surprises. Each poem is a singular experience and I've wondered why do I return? And in returning is there any benefit? It's dangerous making claims for the utility of poetry — cognitive science may find promise in the reading or composition of poetry; poetic involvement may boost intelligence, improve therapeutic response, even ameliorate pain — these headlines make lovely Valentines.

Yet utility isn't the raison d'etre of poetry in my experience nor should it be. I return, dip in, muse — dwell and dally. The question becomes not one regarding use or utility, but a sense of space, architectures effervescent, ever-changing. What draws and redraws me within its trace?

This isn't a recent question. At one point I stopped writing poems for two years, to understand to what extent this activity was something I truly cared for, organically; in the late 1980s, my dissertation focused on the diminishing role of the poet in culture through the arc of history to modern times.

By my 30s poetry was no longer just about writing or producing poetic works on paper. Poetry embodied a sense of being and doing — in which anything might be crafted — in design, production, collaboration. I joined forces with others, founding local art cooperatives which manifested as communities, anarchic sanctuaries in the impoverished places I was living artists were isolated and unsupported.

Today it's possible to reach other countries and lands through an interactive Forum and here we are.

Poetry is classified as non-fiction; there is a recognition long-established of truth, within. Poets generally possess a sense of idealism, wonderment and resistive will. Poems offer world-creation and creative worlds to readers. In Poetry as Consciousness: Haiku Forests, Space of Mind, and an Ethics of Freedom (published in 2018 by an academic press) I wrote on poetic space and sanctuary. The approach was affirmed by a statement from Antonio Machado:

Between living and dreaming
    there is a third thing.
    Guess it

From these and other notions drawing on depth psychology ideas of sanctuary as sanctity and precinct arose in my mind.

​​​​​​In the short article, Haiku Sanctuary, Between Living and Dreaming (published in Under the Basho journal and ​​revised from the book), I follow this train of thought.

Check it out, if you wish comment here.

Thomas Moore and James Hillman changed my perspective on life, real game changers, so I’m delighted to see them both mentioned in your article. “Care of the Soul’, and “The Souls Code: In search of Character and calling” my life-changing books.
    And I love this quote best by James Hillman: ‘Philosophy enunciates the world in the images of words. It must arise in the heart in order to mediate the world truly, since, as Corbin says, it is that subtle organ which perceives the correspondences between the subtleties of consciousness and the levels of being,”
    Too often, I read poetry that is mind driven, intellectually driven, lacking heart.
    And this: ….”For these authors, in dwelling (“poeticizing”) is retained a sense of awe. (By soul is here meant “that which deepens”; the definition given by archetypal psychology. Cf. Hillman, 2015.)”
    No wonder I loved this man’s books. Take away the awe, the heart, and what’s left?
    I so enjoyed the haiku examples shown in your article Richard. Exciting concepts! I often think the very best of poems defy analysis....they are rooted deeply in the psyche.

Comment

Thank you Carole, there are a few other members here that are likewise familiar with Hillman"s work. As time passes I fear his thought is being forgotten, though he managed to write a few bestsellers, in his later career. For poets, I feel he is a light bringing psychological value and validation.

Reading over his bio recalls his brilliance:
      https://www.theguardian.com/science/.../james-hillman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hillman

On the wiki, check out especially the sections "Archetypal psychology" and "Psyche or soul."

Comment

• Carole
        Carole commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for those links.

My pleasure Carol.

Comment

I found a lot in this article. This especially resonates for me....

This section began with notions of poeticizing as the “holy.” Connotations regarding mind, being, and poeticizing, on the part of Heidegger, Hillman and Snyder are in accord with Antonio Machado’s “third thing between living and dreaming” at the heart of the poem.
        My website is at www.poeticinspire.com

Comment

Working...
        X